The Centre for Gifted Education is specially designed for intellectually gifted students who have a passion for learning, particularly in the areas of Mathematics, Science and Languages in the first stage of development. The CGE aims to offer a broad range of acceleration and enrichment experiences for students, with comprehensive longitudinal provisions for students in accordance with their strengths, interest and affective development.
A-School adopts a school-based model for gifted education with reference to Differentiated Model of Giftedness and Talent (F. GAGNE (2008)) and Schoolwide Enrichment Model (Renzulli & Reis, 1985; 1997), with measures including:
- Establish the personal profile of the gifted students, including their strengths, interest and affective needs. Formulate group/ individual plans for academic advancement and affective development with the students (and with the parents if necessary).
- Organize a range of high-quality enrichment programmes to develop the full potential of the gifted students.
- Facilitate effective offsite support to gifted students. Gifted students are encouraged to take the external gifted programmes which are carefully assessed and with full recognition.
- Arrange mentors (internal staff and/ or external experts) for gifted students for both academic and personal development.
- Facilitate peer support amongst gifted students. They can connect with their intellectual peers rather than being alone.
- Provide parent education in order to foster home-school collaboration for the growth of the gifted students.
- Provide teacher professional development about gifted education.
Activity Highlight – World Scholar’s Cup
Participating in the World Scholar’s Cup is one of the signature events of our school’s Centre of Gifted Education. One of the key components of our centre is to provide opportunities to enrich our gifted and talented students’ exposure in learning and widen their horizon. By participating in the World Scholar’s Cup, which is a worldwide competition that celebrates learning with over 50,000 participants of 148 regional events across 75 countries, who get together to explore knowledge in Science; Technology, History, Arts; Music, Social Studies, Literature; Media and Special Area. It aims to motivate students of all backgrounds to discover new strengths and practise new skills, and to inspire a global community of future scholars and leaders. Every year our students will start off the competition in the Hong Kong Regional Round, where they will compete in 4 events, including Collaborative Writing, Team Debate, Scholar’s Challenge and Scholar’s Bowl. The top teams will be advanced to the Global Round, which this year will be held in Dubai, Prague and Melbourne. For the finale, only limited spots will be granted to compete in the Tournament of Champions in Yale University.
In the past few years, the result of our students was very encouraging. Our gifted students received medals and obtained top positions in various events including Trophy – Team Writing, Team Challenge, Overall Top Teams and Gold and Silver medals of individual events in Writing, Debate, Overall Scholars and Challenges. They are inspired to work on their research comprehensively and take the initiative to form their own study groups to prepare for the competition.
We believe before our students can fall in love with learning, they have to find the fun in learning. They will be inspired to be a lifelong learner by joining a wide range of challenging programs by the Centre of Gifted Education.